Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Marketing To Existing Clients

One of the biggest ways that professionals and professional firms can improve their marketing effectiveness is to think through and make sure that they are actually putting their marketing efforts in places which yield the highest return.

This is actually not commonly the case. Most firms say that they believe that marketing to existing clients is the best source of new revenue. But when you add up all of the non-billable hours that are spent on marketing you often get surprised that a very high majority of it is diverted to chasing new clients.

In this clip, we examine all of the places that marketing efforts can go. We make some very clear recommendations about where the priorities are.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all of your great podcasts/ videocasts.

I'm really interested to hear everyone's suggestions about how to make sure the firm focuses on the right activities.

I'm a solo consultant, so it's easy -- I just make sure that I record the time that I spend accurately (basically in your 4 categories -- which are a subset of what I call my "specific marketing" category to differenciate it from "broadcast marketing" (blog/ articles/ public seminars etc) which is allotted even less time.

Apart from recording systems, how do you get a firm to focus on current clients who recognise a need?