Monday, June 18, 2007

Accountability -- new managing videocast & audiocast

The 13th episode in this series puts fourth that in order for the employees of an organisation to raise their performance, the managers must first improve in their role. In order to accomplish this, however, managers must be willing to be held accountable to the standards of the organisations. We will discuss one way that this accountability could be installed inside an organisation.

Audio Timeline

00:39 -- Introduction
00:12 -- Over-investing in training, under-investing in accountability
02:07 -- Managerial accountability
02:59 -- Standards and the goals of an organisation
06:25 -- Conclusion

You can download Accountability or sign up to receive new videos automatically with iTunes or other video players. (Click here for step-by-step instructions on how to subscribe.) My seminars are always available for download at no cost.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am new to this, so please forgive me if I screw it up.

I hope I am not being held to an impossible standard.

I will fail.

I am intrigued (and willing) to be accountable to the staff (I am the owner)

The trade off of course is that if I become the General (White Christmas as the video Richard's example) then I set the standard and the pace.

In the video, the case is made the manager must be willing to resign if there is no progress.

Perfection is not the standard, progress is!

I like it.

But I am wondering about any possible resources that can help ME grow, and then bring the staff alongside the process of change.

How about a resource for the EMPLOYEE to rate the boss?

I set the standards of behaviour, (cleanliness, service, ethics, etc) but my employee's continue to push the envelope of under-achievement.

I told my manager (ok he is our son) that he MUST hold himself to a HIGHER standard, not a lower standard.

The employees then hold themselves to his standard, not mine.

I know this may seem like an unanswerable question, but I need a bit of help.

Thanx